In December 1933, the big step was taken to incorporate Garden City into a city, having an area of 5.8 miles with a population of 2,500. A charter was adopted that year that provided for a mayor-council non-partisan form of Government. Garden City's first Mayor was Arnold Folker.
Middlebelt Road, looking south, just north of Ford Road in the 1940's.
1927: Garden City was incorporated as a village and received electricity from Detroit Edison.| 1929: Garden City was connected to the Detroit water system. 1930: Garden City opened its first bank, the Garden City State Bank. 1931: Post Office opened in Garden City 1933: Incorporated as a City. 1951: Garden City High School dedicated. 1959: First Little Caesars ever opened in Garden City. 1961: Jaycees put on first Santaland Parade. 1962: First K Mart ever opened in Garden CIty. 1965: Current City Hall opens.