YOU MUST RETURN NOTICE OF CLAIM SEWAGE DISPOSAL OR STORM WATER EVENT BY AUGUST 10, 2021
IF RETURNING FORM AFTER BUSINESS HOURS PLEASE USE PURPLE DROP BOX
ON NORTH SIDE OF CITY HALL.
- The City is in the process of submitting data to FEMA in conjunction with Wayne County regarding the rain event and subsequent flooding. Please return the “Notice of Claim & Sewer Disposal or Stormwater System Event” form to the City Clerk’s Office ASAP. You can email a pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org, you can drop off the form in the Purple Dropbox on the north side of City Hall at anytime or bring to the City Clerk’s Office in City Hall.
- The City is making an application to FEMA regarding the flooding on behalf of the residents affected. This is an application and not a guarantee of the Federal declaration or that funds will be released to supplement clean-up efforts.
- You should also make contact with your insurance carrier to report the incident and see if you have coverage for such an event.
- Place all flood damaged debris at your curb-line as soon as possible. The City is nearing the end of special pick-ups.
- Make sure you document any damage that you experienced through photo or videos and keep for your records. The City or your insurance company may request at a later date. DO NOT PROVIDE WHEN SUBMITTING CLAIM FORM TO CITY.
For questions on flooding contamination or cleanup contact Wayne County Public Health Division Environmental Health Unit at (734) 727-7400.
United Way for Southeastern Michigan: call 2-1-1 if you need assistance.
American Red Cross: If you are in immediate need of help, you can contact the Red Cross at 1-800-RED-CROSS.
PUBLIC ACT 222 NOTICE
Any citizen having experienced an overflow or back up of a sewage disposal system or storm water system, must file a written claim with the City of Garden City within 45 days after the overflow or back up was discovered or in the exercise of reasonable diligence should have been discovered. Notice should be mailed to City of Garden City, Clerk-Treasurer, 6000 Middlebelt Rd, Garden City, MI 48135, Phone (734)793-1620. Failure to provide the required notice will prevent recovery of damages. Contact the Department of Public Service at 31800 Beechwood; Phone (734) 793-1800 immediately upon discovery of an overflow or back up. If you have an after-hours emergency regarding a sewer backup, please call the Police Dept. non-emergency number at 734-793-1730. They will contact the DPS on-call personnel.