The goal of offering Garden City University is to provide citizens the opportunity to learn about the City’s services and operations. Residents and visitors can learn more about the City’s municipal government and the services it provides by attending a series of classes that offer citizens a diverse background of Garden City. The six-week course is free and will cover a number of topics, including City administration, public works, public safety, finance and a variety of areas related to Garden City’s municipal government. The aim of Garden City University is to provide a better understanding of the government’s role and its relationship with citizens, as well as continue to build the relationship between government and residents to improve our community’s quality of life.
Benefits of the Program
• Get better acquainted with the City you live in
• Meet your local elected officials and City staff
• Learn about a variety of City programs and services
• Become a better qualified candidate for City boards
• Build your resume/portfolio
• Become an active community member and ambassador
• Meet residents with shared interests in the City
• Participate in discussions
• Tour City facilities
• Attendees will receive a diploma and a City University graduate shirt
The program is free to participate!
Seasonal sessions will be held throughout the year
There will be six (6) scheduled classes per session
Classes will meet every other Wednesday evening from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Light refreshments will be served at each class
Each session will include the following classes:
Must be 17 years of age or older
Must live in the City of Garden City, Michigan
If you miss more than two sessions, you will not receive a graduation diploma
A minimum of 15 participants must be enrolled in the course, with a maximum of 30
A waiting list will be composed for the next session should demand be high