What documents do I bring with me to my appointment?

The checklist below includes items you need to bring when you visit an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site for us to help you prepare your tax return(s):

-Last year’s tax return(s) -Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and every individual on your return. 

-Photo I.D. required for all taxpayers. 

-Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refund(s). 

-Income -W-2 from each employer 

-Unemployment compensation statements 

-SSA-1099 Form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits -1099 Forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets 

-1099-R Form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution 

-1099-MISC Forms 

-Information about other forms of Income 

-State or local income tax refunds Payments 

-All forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments) 

Deductions -Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information: 

-1098 Form showing any home mortgage interest -A list of medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), a list of prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services, and bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities -Summary of contributions to charity -Receipts or canceled checks for all quarterly or other paid tax -Property Tax bills and proof of payment -Health Insurance -1095A Forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange) -1095B Forms (if applicable) -Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable) -Credits -Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number) -1098-T and 1098-E Forms (Tuition and Student Loan Interest)

Show All Answers

1. When are appointments going to start being taken for this tax season?
2. Do I qualify for tax assistance?
3. What documents do I bring with me to my appointment?
4. Can I walk-in for a tax assistance appointment?
5. What is the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide?